Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Truck Arrives

I arrived at DFW airport about 5 in the morning (3am PHX time) and was thankful I got a cat nap on the plane.  I grabbed my bags and met Rusty's Aunt Liz outside to drive me into town.  We went to her house and I crashed for another hour and then got up and headed over to the house to meet the moving truck by 8am.

The driver was there waiting for me but the crew wasn't, so I had time to run in, turn on lights and try to remember who was getting what room.  We had the paint completely redone before we moved in and it looked amazing.  It instantly felt more like "us".
I mean who doesn't like hardware like this in the kitchen!?! (These were the first thing I changed after the paint)

The morning went like this: "Ma'am, where does this go?" repeated times a majilion. I kept trying to sneak off and start unpacking but they wanted me sitting on a stool by the front door directing them.  Keep in mind that this dove me crazy because I had so carefully color coded every box and every room- complete with signs.

Liz came over mid morning with a drink and snacks- since I had zero food in the house and I hadn't been able to eat at the party, so I was really running on empty. She started on the kitchen boxes and unpacked probably 75% of them before the movers left. She was my rock star.

Close to the end of the day nothing was put together.  The driver couldn't find the bag of bolts and screws.  {Just because this is MY journal I will tell my side of the story.  Back in AZ when they loaded up and realized that they needed a second truck the driver took the parts bag, put it in his case and put it in the cab of the truck.  I wasn't there for this part, Rusty was, so later there was a lot of back and forth on the phone with Rusty who was driving over}. He let the crew go and then he and I opened up and looked through EVERY SINGLE BOX in the house looking for them.  I knew they weren't in a box, he checked his cab three times, called the other two stops before us, and after nearly 3 more hours of looking we decided they were gone.  So, that left Braden's bed, my bed, the little boys bunkbed, my kitchen table and the office desk not put together.

I have been amazed by how many people know someone here.  Early in the afternoon a friend from home's cousin (who I had been pestering with questions about Flower Mound for weeks) stopped by and brought me a Moving Day care package.  Seriously, Catherine, you are the sweetest.  It was what I needed.  I think I used every single thing in there before the day was done.

Liz got us lunch, but I was too sick to my stomach to eat much. She headed home and I went upstairs, sat on the floor of my new room and bawled.  I may have failed to mention that my kidney stones had been killing me since Monday.  Like, pain so bad I was nearly doubled over and on pain meds, bad. 

I really wanted to sleep but was too tired, so I decided after texting some sweet friends that I needed to find a positive about my day- so I decided my new huge bathroom and enormous tub would be my positive for that day.

A nice relaxing bath was just what I needed, and bonus- our tub is a jacuzzi tub! My day went a little better. I headed to Solomon's for dinner and then decided to come back and sleep at our house and do some more unpacking.  Other than the new noises that I had to get used to, and no window coverings, I actually fell asleep quickly!

Things I have learned from doing a big move:
1) Always keep the "parts bag" with you.  Always.
2) Never plan on an easy day
3) It will be hot
4) Your house will be filthy when they are done
5) 'Fragile" on a box means nothing
6) Don't do it alone

No comments:

Post a Comment